Kindergarten Graduation

Kindergarten Graduation

Crossing the finish line at the NJ Marathon

Life with Jake...

Friday, June 26, 2009

What Ever Happened to the Days of Counting Words??

These days I find myself wondering how it was that I EVER really counted words?!?! Was there really a time when I was worried that he would be severely speech delayed?!?! And why, on Earth, did I not value and appreciate some of those quiet moments when I had them????

In sharp contrast, I now find myself counting seconds of silence...LOL I'm quite sure that we rarely go more than 60 seconds without a "mommy look", "mommy here", "mommy why...", mommy "did you never know...", mommy stop, mommy go, and on and on and on. I've got myself a real live chatterbox and man, for an almost 4 year old, can he carry on a conversation...BOTH sides of it, if necessary.

And of course, the time he wants to, needs to, just MUST talk to me without fail, coincides precisely with when the phone rings. What is it about phones and 3 yr olds? Is there some kind of internal alarm that goes off when the phone rings...one that says "quick, run and find mommy, and talk to her before she gets on that phone and ignores you for the next 5 minutes!!! Talk and just keep talking, don't stop, and if that doesn't work, pull on her sleeve, pinch her arm, grab for the phone, talk louder...and if even that doesn't work, spill something, throw something, bang something, break something, but whatever you do, don't give up and don't let her talk on that phone!" I can remember pre-Jake, when I used to actually look forward to the phone ringing...now, I actually get heart palpitations because I KNOW what is about to happen...LOL


Jake's vocabulary is expanding in leaps and bounds. And the funny part is he's not afraid to use words that he can't quite say...and of course, translation is your problem, not his! Some very funny staples of his include..."hosiple" - which is where sick little boys and girls go (something he's way too familiar with)..."air magician" - which is what cools the house, just like magic, only much more expensively..."Jacolyn Stove" - which is what he believes the name of his class in school is when it's really Jacques Cousteau, though don't even try to convince him of this...this past week he told nanny and I that he had "pedodies" for lunch and we were both stumped by that one - turns out he had perrogies (which floored us, considering how picky an eater he is)...he also love MMMs - his version of M&M's..."last day" is his version of "yesterday"...and so many more that escape my mommy brain at this late hour.

He also continues to amaze us with what he's learned in his Montessori school this past school year. I bought him a big floor puzzle that contains all of the continents and oceans, etc. this week and although I knew he had learned the continent song, I had NO idea that he really knew which continents were which!!!! At 3, this down right amazes me!!!!!!! He was more than happy to teach his girl, Jordan and the rest of the posse the continents this past weekend. I have a feeling, we're going to be learning a lot from him over the years...LOL

All in all, he appears to be changing and maturing with each and every passing day. Today, while driving home from school (oops, camp), I looked back at him and thought, WOW, he looks so much older to me...like my baby is turning into a little boy right before my eyes. Then, a couple of hours later, he was laying on my bed with his new headphones listening to a Hannah Montana (Miley Cyrus) music video on my ipod and I thought, WOW, how long till he's asking me for the car keys??

HOW SCARY is that?!?!? On that note, I'm off to bed... Contrary to popular belief, it takes a lot of sleep to keep up with an almost 4 year old!!!

No comments:

Christmas 2010

Christmas 2010

Nanny & Pops

Nanny & Pops

First Day of School!

First Day of School!

Going to 1st Grade!!!

Going to 1st Grade!!!

Jake & His Girl Jordan

Jake & His Girl Jordan

Jake Turns 4!!

Jake Turns 4!!
Jake Turns 4!!

Christmas 2007

Christmas 2007

Meet the Posse

Meet the Posse