Kindergarten Graduation

Kindergarten Graduation

Crossing the finish line at the NJ Marathon

Life with Jake...

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Paci Crisis!!!

When I picked up Jake from camp tonight I could tell it was going to be one of those nights. He was already showing signs of being tired and every little thing that wasn't exactly right brought him to tears. So, I was very intent on getting him home, fed and ready for bed as quickly as possible...before things turned ugly.

We managed to survive dinner (though he did cry because his fish sticks took way too long, according to his internal clock anyway) and I even bribed him into his pjs by baking him some cookies (yes, yes, I AM capable of baking cookies, especially the kind that come all ready to go into the oven...LOL)...the kind that say "you must be in your pjs to eat these cookies". Too bad (wink, wink) I had thrown the wrapper away before he had a chance to "read" that part.

Then, post-cookies, as we ascended the stairs, I heard this primal scream which made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I turned to find that he had chewed just a little too hard on that one remaining paci and this time (cause God knows there have been many, many, many times when I've warned him NOT to chew on it) it broke. YES, the final paci had a BIG hole in it and according to him, "kept letting the air in" now. All I could think was "oh God, NO, I'm not ready"!!

Now, I must admit, my very first instinct was to go out to the car and find the spare one that I have hidden there...or the emergency one in the diaper bag. But, we've been working our way up to giving up this one last paci when he turns 4 in August and I just wasnt sure it was the right thing to do to magically "find" one at this point in time?!?!?!?

So, we go through out bedtime routine...brush teeth, read books, put my ipod in the player and start up his bedtime playlist and into bed he goes with the broken paci. After about 30 seconds that paci was thrown across the room and a NON STOP, broken record like series of "momma, paci...momma, go buy me a new one...momma, call nanny and see if she has one, ask her to bring it to me, momma, paci, paci, paci...and on and on and on". Even the waddle wasn't an option or acceptable alternative.

So, what, you may ask goes through a (very tired) mommy's mind during a time like this...well, at certain low points, I found myself thinking..."oh, hell, he's likely going to need braces anyway, so what's the big deal"..."what's more important holding to my principles about this paci thing or having ANY chance to get some sleep tonight?!?!?..."nobody ever walked down the aisle with a paci in their mouth, now did they?!?!?"..."he's not 4 yet and we agreed he would give it up when he turned 4, right, so maybe I should give him one of the spare ones??"...All of which were immediately overshadowed by a visual of him, age 5, looking the size of a 10 yr old, with a paci still in his mouth...or a visual of him with "bunny rabbit teeth", as his dentist likes to call them...uggghh!!

After rocking him, rubbing his back, threatening him, consoling him and nearly giving in a hundred times over the course of an hour and a half, he finally fell asleep out of pure exhaustion and despair. Still remains to be seen if he makes it through the night without it and so I'm wondering if I shouldn't sneak out to the car and grab that extra one just in case I need it during the night?!?!?! Damn, I'm SO weak!!!!!

Not sure who's more NOT ready for this transition...him or me?!?! LOL First thing tomorrow, I'm going to get someone on my staff at J&J working on a nicorette-like device for "paci cessation"...maybe a gum and/or a patch or something. Probably need 2 in a pack...one for the mommy and one for the kid! LOL

Stay tuned to see how we made out...Our very first paci-free night in almost 4 years!!!

1 comment:

abby said...

Well, we gave in on the "ba" (bottle) front with Hallie (who was confined to using this babyish milk-delivery system only during naps and at bedtime) after she went on a complete food strike as a result of this new rule. So we have no words of advice (other than 'don't follow our example.'). Seems, though, that Lea is giving up her binky early on in the game. Maybe she can teach this skill to Jake and how to eat to Hallie. Or at least raise herself...LOL...

Christmas 2010

Christmas 2010

Nanny & Pops

Nanny & Pops

First Day of School!

First Day of School!

Going to 1st Grade!!!

Going to 1st Grade!!!

Jake & His Girl Jordan

Jake & His Girl Jordan

Jake Turns 4!!

Jake Turns 4!!
Jake Turns 4!!

Christmas 2007

Christmas 2007

Meet the Posse

Meet the Posse