Kindergarten Graduation

Kindergarten Graduation

Crossing the finish line at the NJ Marathon

Life with Jake...

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mommy Time Outs...

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm determined to do whatever it takes to ensure my son doesn't grow up with a "fat mommy"... Sure, you may not know this by looking at me these days, but believe you me, it's still true!!! So, I've recommitted to weight watchers (for the umpteenth time), am working out with a personal trainer 3 times a week and have also created this little overall exercise plan that calls for running a mere 2 miles on those days when I'm not with the trainer. Sounds easy, right?


Well, I started off the week with a bang and had two great training sessions at the gym on Mon and Tues...woo-hoo! Then, last night, the first of my 2 mile run nights, I changed into my running clothes, put on my new running shoes (from awesome Aunt CC and Aunt Amy), and started the nightly ritual of trying to get my little energizer bunny off to dreamland. (Why this process alone doesn't burn a gazillion calories, is beyond me?) As I lay across my bed, staring intently at the video monitor, hoping beyond hope, that he was about to doze off...I dozed off. I know, not a surprise to anyone who knows me! And there I slept until awoken at 3 am by a little schnauzer who wanted under the covers. So much for that run...ugghh!!!


So, this morning, determined to NOT blow my little exercise plan during the very first week, I got up, took a not so energized little bunny to school and came back home and ran those darn 2 miles. As I sat there recovering from what used to seem like just a warm up run, I started to wonder what it is about motherhood that makes a person SO DARN tired? Wait, tired is definitely too weak a word here...EXHAUSTED...ah, that's more like it!


Now, I've never been in great physical shape, but I've certainly not been a couch potato all of my life either. I've hiked Half Dome (in Yosemite) twice and once even managed to pull my weary self up the cables to the top. (OK, OK, before Aunt Bear jumps in here, YES, YES, YES, she had to carry my pack for a little stretch during one of the hikes up because I really did hit the wall and was crying, laughing, and about to pass out...and YES, I did vomit upon returning to the car, but I made it there all the same) Somehow this whole mommy thing makes that look like a walk in the park! How's that possible?!?!?


Well, then I thought about it and I realized that even during those hikes, there were opportunities to stop and take a break while this mommy thing is more like a total all out SPRINT...there are no "time outs" to be called, no "half time", no "substitutions" to be made...there's ONLY you! And to further complicate things, there is no training program that prepares you for this...it's all ON THE JOB training. And although I'm far from being there, I'm quite sure you don't get to "retire" either!! No term limits, it's a lifetime appointment...


Of course, all of this comes with an unbelievable amount of upside...so, don't get me wrong, there's not a day that goes by that I don't feel incredibly blessed (there are minutes of that day that I may feel otherwise...LOL). But what I can't figure out is how ANY one who is a mommy could be anything other than skinny as a rail?!?!?!? For one, I usually can't even recall what I ate because I'm too busy trying to convince my little guy to eat something, anything...to sit at the table...to not feed the dog...to not spill or splatter his chocolate milk and then smear it across the table like it's finger paint...to not stand on his chair, not feed the child sitting next to him and a hundred other little things that go into every meal time. Which makes me wonder, how any child actually gains any weight, grows and thrives with the amount of real, good food we manage to get into them?!?!


So, I ask you, how do mommy's actually gain weight or have a hard time losing it? We rarely get to sit and eat, we rarely get to sit, period...we are in a constant state of cleaning up, gathering, chasing, corralling, cajoling, begging, pleading, loving, hugging, kissing, yelling, diapering (or pottying if you're among the lucky ones), dressing, redressing, undressing, bathing, brushing teeth, reading stories, playing with toys, cleaning up said toys, drying tears, kissing boo-boos, making breakfast, lunch and dinner and making them again when the first is deemed inedible, chasing away nighttime monsters, carrying boys who are getting way too big to be carried, finding paci's which should have been a thing of the past long ago, and the millions of other things that go into each and every day... How, on Earth, does that not burn a gazillion calories?!?!?!


For those reading this thinking "I don't know how you do it?"...don't worry, those of us who are mommies, don't know how we do it either! LOL We just know there is no other option but to do it and do it the VERY best we can!!! That said, though, there are days like today, when I'm supposed to be at work, or doing a million things around the house, but all I can think about is taking a little time to regroup and catch my breath. ..sort of like a "mommy time out"...LOL It's actually quite an interesting feeling to be somewhere between the two worlds that I live in...work and home. All I need is a little Calgon and the 'ol "take me away" music playing in the background while I soak in the jacuzzi tub and it would be perfect. On second thought, too bad I can't get good 'ol Aunt Bear to "carry my pack" for a little while, eh?!??!?! LOL LOL


Although I should be going off to work...I'm going off to take a middle of the day nap...woo-hoo for mommy time outs! I wonder how many each team gets???????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG, we have had such a whirlwind of a weekend. Hallie just fell asleep so I finally have a minute to check on others and I read this post. How funny! You have such a brilliant way of characterizing what is like to be a mom.

Say hi to Jake for us :)

Christmas 2010

Christmas 2010

Nanny & Pops

Nanny & Pops

First Day of School!

First Day of School!

Going to 1st Grade!!!

Going to 1st Grade!!!

Jake & His Girl Jordan

Jake & His Girl Jordan

Jake Turns 4!!

Jake Turns 4!!
Jake Turns 4!!

Christmas 2007

Christmas 2007

Meet the Posse

Meet the Posse