Kindergarten Graduation

Kindergarten Graduation

Crossing the finish line at the NJ Marathon

Life with Jake...

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"Why do people have to wear underwear?"

OK, so I've gotten pretty good at all of these "why????" questions and believe you me, it has not been easy. The kids is just too damn smart for his own good. Gone are the days when I could simply say "Oh, I never knew that!" when I was caught multi-tasking and not quite really listening (which led to a full 2 years of "momma, did you never know?" questions). Now, he even throws in a trick question here and there, just to see if I'm listening. With that cute, innocent little "right mama?" behind it, just to see if I'm paying attention.

So Monday he started swim lessons at our pool club and afterwards, I take him into the locker room and begin to change him back in to dry clothes. At which point, with a number of ladies standing around, he begins to question the usefulness of underwear. It goes something like this...me saying, Jakey please pick your foot up and put it into this leg of your underwear please and him not moving said foot, but instead asking "but why do people have to wear underwear, mamma?" In hopes of moving him along a bit, I respond...ah because otherwise your shorts would rub on your bottom and give you a rash. Nope, doesn't end there. "But mama, my shorts are very soft so why would they hurt my bottom?" Me... "well not all shorts and pants are soft, so you need to wear underwear and besides your underwear keeps your bottom, which can get dirty and smelly during the day from touching your pants or shorts"

The Boy..."But then why does my Nanny wash my shorts and pants if they don't touch my bottom? And if my bottom does touch them, she washes them anyway, so it's OK" Me... "It's just a law of nature, you have to wear underwear (can you tell I'm running out of solid rationale here? and getting close to the "because I said so" line I swore I would never use) Boy Genius... "But mama, I could get dressed much more faster (he's big on "much more" these days) if I didn't have to wear them and you could save your money and buy me toys, I would much more (see what I mean) rather have toys than underwear"

A starting to get frustrated me..."Jakey, can we possibly have this debate at home and not here in the middle of the locker room with you and your naked bottom hanging out...cause mommy is tired and hungry and I'd like to get home sometime tonight?!?!?" The negotiator... "Then I shouldn't wear underwear and we could get home much more quicker, mommy"... An exasperated me: "OK, at this point, you're about to have to walk out of here butt naked boy, so pick what u want to put on and let's GO" Any guesses what he picked? Yep, NO underwear.

And the whole way home, "But Momma, WHY do I have to wear them, my bottom feels much more better like this?" Oy vey!!!!

And the truth is, I really could NOT think of one good reason why he had to wear underwear?!?!?!?!?!?!? Any and all suggestions (because this subject WILL arise again) are totally welcome...

No comments:

Christmas 2010

Christmas 2010

Nanny & Pops

Nanny & Pops

First Day of School!

First Day of School!

Going to 1st Grade!!!

Going to 1st Grade!!!

Jake & His Girl Jordan

Jake & His Girl Jordan

Jake Turns 4!!

Jake Turns 4!!
Jake Turns 4!!

Christmas 2007

Christmas 2007

Meet the Posse

Meet the Posse