Kindergarten Graduation

Kindergarten Graduation

Crossing the finish line at the NJ Marathon

Life with Jake...

Thursday, March 18, 2010

OMG...Multiplication & Division at Age 4?!?!?

OK, so let me start out by saying that I am just SOOOOOO far behind on these posts that any hope of catching up is nothing more than a pipe dream. Yes, yes, yes, I know, I'm a BAD mommy... let's just get that out of the way as well. I have a bunch of excuses (training for marathon, crazy job, Lyme disease, etc.), but they all sound so lame, they're not worth wasting any valuable typing time on them. After all, this blog is about THE AMAZING BOY we all know and love.

So, what's he been up to these days (and all those I've failed to write about)...Well, I know it sounds CRAZY, but it's TRUE...Jake is learning how to multiply and divide in school now. And not just the easy stuff either, he's gone all the way through to his 10x tables and is learning to divide by 2, 4, 5 and 6. And for those non-believers who may wonder if this is just a little mommy white lie or exaggeration, not to worry, I have pictures to prove it. (And to be totally honest, I didn't even believe it myself when Nanny told me until I saw the worksheets and quizzed him a little)

Now, I was considered pretty darn good at math when I was growing up and they even brought in some high school work for me when I was in middle school...BUT, I'm sure that I was in 5th or 6th grade when I learned multiplication and division. And even if I'm off by a grade, I know for certain I was NOT 4!!!!!!!!! I'm scared to think what he will be doing when he's in 5th or 6th grade...maybe teaching it??? LOL

Here's the proof...


And for those who were thinking, oh that's not so hard, he just had to count by 2 or count down from 7...here are the mixed numbers problem sheets. Since this time, he's started doing problems like 2,222 x 4, which for him is as easy as 4x2. CRAZY!!! I'm running out of room on the refrigerator to display all of these amazing pieces of work. Anyone with any spare room on theirs, please let me know...LOL


When he's not totally wrapped up in math of some sort, he's really into puzzle balls these days. Regular puzzles were starting to be way too easy, so these puzzle balls (3D puzzles) are SO perfect for him. Unbelievably, they even include a link to his favorite things in life - numbers - as the back of each piece has a number...some up to 540 pieces. His absolute favorites are the ones that I found that include the 8 planets in our solar system. It used to take US days to put one together and that was with quite a lot of team work, but these days, he's able to do them ALL by himself and this usually buys me a little more sleeping time on Saturday mornings. Today we donated a set to his classroom at school which made the teachers chuckle a little when they told me that Jake would likely be the only one who could actually do them. Which again is a little shocking considering some of the kids in his class are 7!!

Here's a picture of the entire solar system (I did my best, but I'm sure I don't have them in the right order...I still can't tell Mars from Venus and Neptune from Uranus...oh vey)

and a close up of Jupiter (my personal favorite).



Last month, in light of being hit by snow storm after snow storm, Jake had a chance to go sledding quite a number of times. We even dragged Nanny along with us one time and had a BLAST listening to her SCREAM the entire way down the hill. Of course, I have NO pictures of these events because I've somehow slipped into this no picture coma and try though I may, I've not managed to snap out of it. I have like ZERO pictures of the boy from the month of Feb and so far in March...at this rate, next year's picture book is likely to take much less time to put together and cost a whole lot less. I think I may be experiencing second child syndrome with the first child...is that even possible?!?!? Whatever it is, let's hope I snap out of it SOON. (And it doesn't help that Nanny's camera has gone MIA...yes, another one!! Nanny goes through cameras like Jake goes through shoes...LOL)

A late addition to this already late post... I DID manage to break the camera out of retirement and take some pics of our recent trip to Turtleback Zoo, a pre-race dinner for No-No with the Posse and some cool bike riding pics with Nanny and La La. Will continue that in the next blog... and yes, that new one will come before he enters college...LOL
Back soon...

No comments:

Christmas 2010

Christmas 2010

Nanny & Pops

Nanny & Pops

First Day of School!

First Day of School!

Going to 1st Grade!!!

Going to 1st Grade!!!

Jake & His Girl Jordan

Jake & His Girl Jordan

Jake Turns 4!!

Jake Turns 4!!
Jake Turns 4!!

Christmas 2007

Christmas 2007

Meet the Posse

Meet the Posse